Wednesday 19 January 2011

Brass Monkey . .

It's one of Yorkshire's finest running events on Sunday, the Brass Monkey Half Marathon, staged by Knavesmire Harriers of York, with Race HQ in the Grandstand at the famous Knavesmire Racecourse . .

 

I've taken part 2 or 3 times, and enjoyed it, and been along and supported a couple of times, and enjoyed it almost as much . . here I am in 2004, under a clear blue sky, finishing in 1.48-ish . . those were the days!!


Whenever I go to this race it's always sunny. Perhaps the organisers should hire me to be there? Frosty to begin with and possibly slippery in a few places, and ever so cold whilst waiting for the start but of course when you get running you soon warm up and wish you hadn't kept those legs covered!


I took the last 2 photos when I was watching the race in 2009 (okay so there's a little cloud!). They're in the first ½ mile of the Half, when the runners have left the Racecourse and are heading into Bishopthorpe . .

 

In the first photo is Dave M, one of my friends from Leeds parkrun, who won't have ever seen this photo . . and Vikki K and Rick P are in the second photo. I hadn't met Dave and Rick when I took these photos, and didn't know Vikki was taking part, so it was nice to look back and find them in my photos . .

 . . and after this race, I bought my first DLSR camera, and started to take more, and better photos . . and run less too . . and if anybody who's taking part on Sunday should read this - good luck, have a good strong race and enjoy the day . .

No comments:

Post a Comment